Using RemoteDB in production environment

Hi,

So far all of my testing with RemoteDB has been local to me and given that I have been very impressed with what I can do with it I am starting to think a bit forward about how I can use RemoteDB in a production environment and yes of course that does mean I will need to pay my money :-)

I've been using a modified version of the RemoteDB server application that makes up part of the demo and that has been fine for testing but obviously in the "real world" I am not going to want to have a gui application running on the desktop so my initial thought was that I would add the necessary RemoteDB code to a service application however my initial tests have not worked, the client always fails with a "Could not perform a WinHttp operation, Error (12029) Could not connect to server" error. I've checked my code and don't see any obvious error so I'm wondering if I am going about this the wrong way i.e. trying to use a service and/or if there is some other way that I should be using RemoteDB at the "other end".

Thanks,

Graham

Hi Graham,

using a service is the way to go, there should be no problem with it. Error 12029 just means that the server could not be reached by the client. Are you installing the server in a different computer? Maybe you have other issues influencing it, like user permissions (for the service application), a firewall, or even the URL not being registered? Are you catching the exceptions in the service when trying to start up the server? Maybe there was an error there and you are overlooking it?